I agree with those who say that A and B are usually incompatible.

If we're like chickens-in-a-barn-that-have-been-infected-with-bird-flu, the
virus very rapidly becomes more virulent (hospital and care-home
infections?).  It's hard for a virus to infect your nose and throat
quickly, and then stop.

In the medium term the herd will build up some immunity and then we'll
become more like wandering albatrosses: the virus has to keep us on the
move if it's going to get itself near another susceptible host.

IMO the way a *respiratory *virus tries to "have its cake and eat it" -
that is, get as much of both A and B as possible - is to develop thermal
sensitivity.  I.e. infect nose and throat but keep out of lungs and brain :

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202101.0389/v1

Thanks, Patrick

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:46 PM Edwin Pozharski <pozharsk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess for such vehicle to be "extremely contagious" (or contagious at
> all for that matter) it should be capable of rapidly multiplying inside the
> host, so that it outruns immune system mediated destruction for at least
> some time in order to be present in high enough concentration to
> effectively spread via aerosols.  Given the range of immunodeficiencies
> present in any population, you are essentially guaranteed to kill at least
> some people whose immune system will not be able to cope with rapidly
> multiplying virus.  You can theoretically fine tune the lethality of such
> virus to make sure that number of people you thus murder will be less than
> those that die either in no vaccine or traditional vaccination scenario,
> but that would be ethical equivalent of that modern crypto fascist
> suggestion that we just have to take it easy until herd immunity is
> established, even though few million grandparents will die in the process
> while the rest of us enjoy indoor dining.
>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:33 PM Jacob Keller <jacobpkel...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It would seem to me that it should be possible to generate versions of
>> the Covid virus that would:
>>
>> A. be extremely contagious and yet
>> B. be clinically benign, and
>> C. confer immunity to the original covid virus.
>>
>> If, then, this virus could be released, with appropriate "kill switch"
>> safeguards built in, would this not solve the world's pandemic problems? Is
>> there any reason, practically, why this approach would not be feasible?
>>
>> Maybe we don't really know enough to manipulate A, B, C yet?
>>
>> Or maybe it's too scary for primetime...nightmare bio-warfare apocalypse?
>>
>> Has this sort of thing been done, or does it have a name?
>>
>> Jacob
>> --
>>
>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> Jacob Pearson Keller
>>
>> Assistant Professor
>>
>> Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Therapeutics
>>
>> Uniformed Services University
>>
>> 4301 Jones Bridge Road
>>
>> Bethesda MD 20814
>>
>> jacob.kel...@usuhs.edu; jacobpkel...@gmail.com
>>
>> Cell: (301)592-7004

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36