Dear Cyril and Paul,
COVID struggles permitting, we will _very_ soon have Acedrg dictionaries
for most pyranoses in the monomer library. These contain validated
conformers, updated torsion restraints and, of course, modern geometry.
Cyril: would you like to test these dictionaries with your structure?
Best wishes,
Jon

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 08:56, Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> The geometry targets for protein are well established (by which I mean
> "agreed upon") and so the distribution
>

> On 18/03/2021 07:19, Cyril Hamiaux wrote:
>
> Dear Jasmine (and all),
>

> Many thanks for the article. I have a question regarding the Z cutoffs
> used to flag geometry outliers in the PDB validation reports: geometry
> outliers are flagged with |Z|>2 for ligands (including carbohydrates), but
> with |Z|>5 for proteins. What is the rational for using different criteria
> for ligands vs proteins? After all isn’t this just one structure?
>

> The geometry targets for protein are well established (by which I mean
> "agreed upon") and so we can presume that the distribution for refinement
> is similar to that of the validation. One cannot say as much for ligands at
> the moment. the wwPDB wants to flag only what they have confidence are
> wrong. In the CCP4 world, yes, it's all homogeneous (or that is the intent
> (carbohydrates in particular need some attention in the monomer library
> (I'd recommend that you just run Acedrg to update the dictionaries (or use
> Coot, where this have been done for you))), but the wwPDB doesn't score
> with CCP4 software (not today at least).
>

>    PS. I am refining a 2.4 A resolution structure of a N-glycosylated
> protein and end up with a large number of geometry outliers for the sugars
> when I generate PDB validation reports (especially angle outliers).
>
> Are you using/did you use the N-linked glycan builder in Coot? because
> this really shouldn't happen if you are (it uses modern Acedrg-based
> dictionaries). If not, you can still use "Refine Tree" and it should
> (might?) do something helpful.
>

> The huge majority of these outliers are flagged with |Z|<5 (ie they would
> not be flagged if they were protein bonds or angles). The electron density
> for the sugars is quite good and I made sure that correct LINKR records are
> used during refinement in Refmac. I must admit that I’m a bit struggling to
> improve this.
>

> Refmac can report distance deviations, so you can see where the restraints
> are fighting the density.
>
> You can do something similar in Coot too.
>

> Paul.

Dr Jon Agirre
Royal Society Olga Kennard Research Fellow
York Structural Biology Laboratory / Department of Chemistry
University of York, Heslington, YO10 5DD, York, UK
http://www.york.ac.uk/chemistry/research/ysbl/people/staff/jagirre/
Office: /B/K/065 Phone: +44 (0) 1904 32 8252
Twitter: @glycojones