Dear Paul and Jon,

Thank you for your replies and comments.
I guess I can provide a bit of background: there are 8 monomers in the
asymmetric unit (534 residues each) and each chain is glycosylated with
Asn-NAG-NAG-BMA-MAN-MAN (assumed from the electron density map ; the protein
was expressed and secreted from insect cells). So there are 40 sugars in total
in the structure. Resolution is 2.4 A, space group is P1, and current R and
Rfree are 17.4 and 21.4. I’m using the very last distribution of both Coot and
CCP4.

I definitely used the carbohydrate module in Coot to build the sugars (this
feature is just fantastic!). I then used refmac (with weight = 0.02) to refine
the structure using the default monomer libraries for the sugars, but
explicitly providing the correct LINKR records (NAG-ASN, BETA1-4, BETA1-4,
ALPHA1-3, ALPHA1-2) . However this led to their relatively distorted geometries.

I have now tried “Refine Tree” in Coot for all 8 carbohydrate trees, and send
the structure straight to PDB validation (without refinement in Refmac). The
number of bond length outliers went down from 4 to 0, and the number of bond
angle outliers went down from 125 to 34. There is definitely an improvement
there.

So the problem seems to lie with the default monomer libraries for the sugars
provided with the CCP4 distribution that I used for refinement. I must admit
that I did not look into these and assumed they would be fine. So Jon, yes
please: if you don’t mind sending these through that would be great ☺!
Hopefully this will tightened things a bit and solve the issue.

On a related note, is there a way to export the monomer definitions from Coot
to feed into Refmac?

Cheers,

Cyril