From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of James Holton
Sent: den 16 oktober 2021 21:01
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] am I doing this right?

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and thought-provoking responses!

But, I am starting to think I was not as clear as I could have been about my
question.  I am actually concerning myself with background, not necessarily
Bragg peaks.  With Bragg photons you want the sum, but for background you want
the average.

What I'm getting at is: how does one properly weight a zero-photon observation
when it comes time to combine it with others?  Hopefully they are not all zero.
 If they are, check your shutter.

So, ignoring Bragg photons for the moment (let us suppose it is a systematic
absence) what I am asking is: what is the variance, or, better yet,what is the
WEIGHT one should assign to the observation of zero photons in a patch of 10x10
pixels?

In the absence of any prior knowledge this is a difficult question, but a
question we kind of need to answer if we want to properly measure data from
weak images.  So, what do we do?

Well, with the "I have no idea" uniform prior, it would seem that expectation
(Epix) and variance (Vpix) would be k+1 = 1 for each pixel, and therefore the
sum of Epix and Vpix over the 100 independent pixels is:

Epatch=Vpatch=100 photons

I know that seems weird to assume 100 photons should have hit when we actually
saw none, but consider what that zero-photon count, all by itself, is really
telling you:
a) Epix > 20 ? No way. That is "right out". Given we know its Poisson
distributed, and that background is flat, it is VERY unlikely you have E that
big when you saw zero. Cross all those E values off your list.
b) Epix=0 ? Well, that CAN be true, but other things are possible and all of
them are E>0. So, most likely E is not 0, but at least a little bit higher.
c) Epix=1e-6 ?  Yeah, sure, why not?
d) Epix= -1e-6 ?  No. Don't be silly.
e) If I had to guess? Meh. 1 photon per pixel?  That would be k+1

I suppose my objection to E=V=0 is because V=0 implies infinite confidence in
the value of E, and that we don't have. Yes, it is true that we are quite
confident in the fact that we did not see any photons this time, but the
remember that E and V are the mean and variance that you would see if you did a
million experiments under the same conditions. We are trying to guess those
from what we've got. Just because you've seen zero a hundred times doesn't mean
the 101st experiment won't give you a count.  If it does, then maybe
Epatch=0.01 and Epix=0.0001?  But what do you do before you see your first
photon?
All you can really do is bracket it.

But what if you come up with a better prior than "I have no idea" ?
Well, we do have other pixels on the detector, and presuming the background is
flat, or at least smooth, maybe the average counts/pixel is a better prior?

So, let us consider an ideal detector with 1e6 independent pixels. Let us
further say that 1e5 background photons have hit that detector.  I want to
still ignore Bragg photons because those have a very different prior
distribution to the background.  Let us say we have masked off all the Bragg
areas.

The average overall background is then 0.1 photons/pixel. Let us assign that to
the prior probability Ppix = 0.1.  Now let us look again at that patch of 10x10
pixels with zero counts on it.  We expected to see 10, but got 0.  What are the
odds of that?  Pretty remote.  Less than 1 in a million.

I suspect in this situation where such an unlikely event has occurred it should
perhaps be given a variance larger than 100. Perhaps quite a bit larger?
Subsequent "sigma-weighted" summation would then squash its contribution down
to effectively 0. So, relative to any other observation with even a shred of
merit it would have no impact. Giving it V=0, however? That can't be right.

But what if Ppix=0.01 ?  Then we expect to see zero counts on our 100-pixel
patch about 1/3 of the time. Same for 1-photon observations.
Giving these two kinds of observations the same weight seems more sensible,
given the prior.

Another prior might be to take the flux and sample thickness into account.
Given the cross section of light elements the expected photons/pixel on most
any detector would be:

Ppix = 1.2e-5*flux*exposure*thickness*omega/Npixels
where:
Ppix = expected photons/pixel
Npixels = number of pixels on the detector omega  = fraction of scattered
photons that hit it (about 0.5) thickness = thickness of sample and loop in
microns exposure = exposure time in seconds flux = incident beam flux in
photons/s
1.2e-5 = 1e-4 cm/um * 1.2 g/cm^3 * 0.2 cm^2/g (cross section of oxygen)

If you don't know anything else about the sample, you can at least know that.

Or am I missing something?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist