If you write/analyze/improve a data-reduction program in crystallography, then
these questions are important: how to estimate the intensity of a Bragg spot by
evaluating the counts in the pixels of the signal area, and those of the
background area? When calculating mean and standard deviation of counts, is the
frequentist view the only correct one, or can we improve the result e.g. by
thinking about priors?
Consequence of getting it wrong is less accurate intensities, and downstream
results depending on the intensities.

This is at least how I understand James' questions.

Best wishes,
Kay