Thank Frank for the summary on an interesting topic. Forgot to attach papers
last time. Here are a couple of experimental examples of enhancing the
crystallisation under Dr. Derewenda’ surface entropy reduction theory, which
were published in 2009.
>From difficult to be crystallised, to obtain crystals after surface flexible
>residues mutation, leading to oligomerisation in crystal packing......
>Thought the preference of the oligmeric ensemble could be a type of surface
>entropy reduction to get explained.
1)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2659884/
2)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2739605/

A quote from the above second paper “Importantly, three out of four YphP
molecules in the asymmetric unit form crystal contacts directly via the
low-entropy patches generated by the Q100A, E101A substitutions. This pattern
suggests that an oligomeric ensemble might first form transiently in solution
and then be incorporated into the crystal via surface patches introduced by
mutagenesis. A similar mechanism is observed for other proteins crystallized by
this approach (Z. S. Derewenda, unpublished).”

Minmin

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 7:33 am, Frank von Delft