Dear Sayan,

                   I believe that I have found the answer to your problem. When
I tried indexing using images 1 & 2 (90° apart in phi) I could only find an
orthorhombic solution, there was no suggestion of a C2 solution. As Eleanor,
Land and myself have already pointed out, the P222 cell and the C2 cell that
you provided in your first email cannot be interconverted, so there was
obviously an issue because you were able to integrate the C2 cell giving a MR
solution and a model with similar R-factors.

When I tried the multiple lattice indexing in imosflm with 6 images, phi values
of 0,30,60,90,120 and 150 it immediately found two lattices, the C2 cell and
the P222 cell that you described. Thus your crystal is actually made up of two
distinct components with different spacegroups. I believe that Zbyszek Dauter
has published a similar example.

The problem then is that many of the spots from the two lattices overlap on the
detector, so the measured intensity will not be correct for either lattice.
This will account for the high R-factors that you observe.

Unfortunately, the strength of the diffraction from the two different lattices
can vary as the crystal rotates, depending on the volume of each lattice that
is in the beam. This is why indexing with just 2 images, at 0 and 90°, gives no
indication of the C2 cell.

I do not believe that there is any integration package that will allow you to
“deconvolute” the intensities from the two different lattices where they
overlap. imosflm gives you the opportunity to integrate one lattice and ignore
any spots in that lattice that are overlapped by the second lattice, but this
can lead to quite incomplete data. Often the best way to deal with this
situation is to ignore one of the lattices and just integrate the other, and if
the volume of that lattice in the beam is greater (ie the spots are stronger)
this can give a good model. In your case the diffraction from the P222 lattice
seems to be stronger (gives lower R-factors for the refined model). You can
check the quality of the model by looking at the density for atoms that are not
included in the model (eg the ligand), or by deleting some residues and seeing
how well the density comes back.

Best wishes,

Andrew