Dear Careina

These look like crystals indeed. Without more information, I can make some
educated guesses but the ultimate proof is in your hands :)

1. they don't have to be spherulites. Note that low-symmetry crystals can
have edge-less habits, especially P1 are notorious for that - I've had
crystals looking like grape seeds or even spheres/eggs (i.e. not a single
straight edge) and they diffracted well and weren't twinned. So these can
be just crystals (but not diffracting ones, sadly)

2. when you write that these objects are 'hard' - did you actually crush
them with a metal needle? Do they 'pop' or 'squish'? If they make cracking
noises, they're salt or small molecule crystals.

It might not hurt to try and set them up in oil drops without cryo, to see
if this 'cheap room temperature' diffraction experiment reveals protein
like lattice. Of course this requires hands on access to a diffractometer,
which these days isn't a common thing.

All the best,

Artem

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message