From: Guillaume Gaullier <guillaume.gaull...@kemi.uu.se>
Sent: 06 December 2023 07:57
To: David Briggs <david.bri...@crick.ac.uk>
Cc: CCP4BB@jiscmail.ac.uk <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Alternatives to X

External Sender: Use caution.

Hello,

I can also recommend posting on a Mastodon instance. There is no algorithmic
promotion of posts or accounts, which means you have to work a bit more to find
interesting people to follow, but the reward is generally nicer, with more
genuine interactions (since all the "popularity contest" features are either
absent or not prominently displayed, like the metrics of answers, reposts,
stars, etc.).

Speaking of, Dave, did you mean at_fediscience_dot_org for this last instance?

Many people seem to have moved to bluesky, but I would not recommend posting
there if your goal is for your posts to be visible beyond your peers in your
field: having an account is mandatory to see any content on bluesky (without an
account, one only sees the login page), and at the moment new accounts can only
be registered with an invitation from an already existing account.

Cheers,

Guillaume
@guilla...@fediscience.org<mailto:guilla...@fediscience.org>

On 6 Dec 2023, at 08:18, David Briggs