From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Marco Bravo
<0000d0eb7bee83ae-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2024 11:01 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [ccp4bb] Data Processing questions

[You don't often get email from 0000d0eb7bee83ae-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk.
Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Hi All,
I just collected a lot of data for native crystals and Seleno-methionine
derivative crystals. I have a couple of questions
1. How do I know which images to process and which ones to exclude which might
be radiation damaged and not be good to further process? I have been told it is
possible to cutoff the damaged images, how do I know where to cut it off?
2. I also collected MAD data at two wavelengths (Remote, and at the arithmetic
mean of the peak and inflection) and three for some crystals (remote, peak, and
inflection), How do I proceed about solving the structure with this data and
how should I process them? Is there an advantage to 3 wavelengths over 2 for
MAD?
3. For some crystals I collected multiple datasets from the same crystal. I
have been told I can merge the datasets (images) into a single, larger dataset.
How do I do that? Can I combine datasets from different crystals grown under
the same conditions with the same material? Or only the same individual
crystal? Is it advantageous to merge datasets like this?
4. When Elves indexes the crystal initially, it always thinks the space group
is P4. When I finish data collection it thinks P21 21 2. Is this normal? Is
elves just guessing wrong initially? Why would my space group be ambiguous? Our
resolution is around 3 angstroms.

Thank You!