We had exactly the same thing happening with some crystals grown in tBuOH. The
evaporation of tBuOH leads to currents in the drop and crystals tumbling about.
Our first solution was patience and persistence, trying to trap a goodlooking
crystal near the edge and loop it out. After a time however, the conditions in
the drop of an opened well will have changed, making any remaining crystals
lose diffraction properties. What helped was having multiple drops with
crystals and growing crystals quite large. So you may have to invest a bit more
time in optimising crystallisation conditions and getting a good number of
drops with crystals.

A second solution was to cover the drop with a light oil. This stopped the
currents and allowed looping a crystal out through the oil. This may affect
diffraction quality.

To know if your crystals diffract before any manipulation you might consider
in-plate diffraction (possible at several synchrotrons). This would give you a
baseline to judge if your crystal handling affects diffraction quality.

Another, theoretical, solution would be to maintain a saturated tBuOH
atmosphere just above the drop - not sure if anyone has somehow put this into
practice.

Mark van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas, lab 20B
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC
calle Darwin 3
E-28049 Madrid, Spain
tel. +34 91 585 4616 (internal 432092)