Hi 白雪慧
There's another solution, which I have never known to fail.

Set up your conditions with everything in the drop except for the butanol
in one of our "Vapor Batch" plates.  Cover the drops with oil - we use
light mineral oil - although I'm sure heavy would be just as good.

Then put the same percentage of butanol that you had in your reservoir
(dissolved in water or buffer) into the moat around the plate.

The butanol will diffuse through the oil and equilibrate with the drops,
and crystals will grow. The advantage of this method is that the oil is
already saturated with butanol by the time the crystals grow, so the whole
system is very stable. My labmate, who invented this method, tried many
other methods, and this was the only one that worked. She got a Nature
paper from it ! —see below.

If you send me your address, we'll send you a few plates for you to try.

The other thing I would suggest is to make a seedstock from those crystals
and add them to a random screen - you will almost certainly find new
conditions that avoid volatile precipitants.

See links below.  I hope one of them works for you !

Good luck,

Patrick

_________________________

https://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm

https://www.douglas.co.uk/mms.htm

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 3:11 PM Artem Evdokimov <artem.evdoki...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> This is a common issue with volatile organics in the drop. Solutions that
> have worked in the past include:
>
> 1. covering the drop in oil (some people prefer light oil, I personally
> prefer heavy/viscous oil, as it makes harvesting easier)
> 2. diluting the drop with a much larger volume of mother liquor (from the
> well, or a carefully matched "synthetic" version)
> 3. gelling the drop with CM-cellulose or some other suitable additive
> (this also could work with new drops, meaning before your crystals appear -
> they often grow larger this way)
> 4. lowering the temperature (the colder, the better) and performing
> harvest in a cold room
> 5. flooding the drop with cryo (20-25% ethylene glycol is my #1 choice,
> but you need multiple drops to play around with different cryos of course)
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Artem
>
> - Cosmic Cats approve of this message
>

> On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 7:26 AM 白雪慧 <zb20193020...@cau.edu.cn> wrote:
>
>> May I ask scientific researchers, how can they retrieve diffraction data
>> when encountering a crystal sitting on a droplet and opening a sealed tape
>> crystal that keeps shaking? Crystals are grown using tert butanol as a
>> precipitant. As demonstrated in the video.

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36