On 08/06/2015 04:01 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
Until that console processor fails with no backups.  I seem to recall
having 4 or 5 "backups" (aka operators).  ;)

Well, the idea is that the console or diagnostic processor is WAY simpler than the mainframe CPU. So, if the console computer dies, you can troubleshoot it and be sure it is running in just a few minutes, and then get on to the real problem.

The VAX 11/780 had an LSI-11 with a floppy controller and an interface board to the VAX, so I think it was down to 3 boards or something.

Jon