On 07/08/15 04:56, Chuck Guzis wrote:
On 08/06/2015 08:20 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
You might check whether the BIOS config is set to autodetect drives
at startup; in many BIOSes each IDE channel can be set to Auto/None
or a specific config.  Try setting all installed drives to a specific
configuration, and any unused channels to None.  Autodetection can
sometimes take a long time.  I also find that detection of cd/dvd
drives is sometimes very slow...

(apologies for top-posting, responding on my phone which has a
primitive editor...)

I already do that. Note that the "dead time" occurs before getting the message "Inspecting IDE configuration", so I don't think it's that. Network boot is turned off, BTW.

I don't think I have your exact supermicro board but ones I've used in the past have had on board SCSI that had to be disabled otherwise it would sit there for 30s thinking about why things were so quiet on the bus.

Similarly PXE boot takes a while, but you say you've turned that off.

I don't think I got the one I was playing with down to much less than 30s ... which felt like an age even though I wasn't booting it very often.

Antonio