On 11/12/2015 05:52 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
On 11/12/2015 01:54 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

As per subject line, does anyone know of any util that will back up
an x86 PC running some variant of DOS (MS, Compaq etc.) via rs232 to
a remote system? (Linux preferable on the remote, but other options
exist)

I'm not finding anything via Google, but it seems like the sort of
thing that some of the folks here may have done for their systems in
the past.

I'm thinking something that will do a sector-by-sector transfer from
a given partition (maybe only in-use sectors, implying some minor
intelligence on the remote end to covert into a raw image, but "send
 everything" mentality is better than nothing) - extra points for
retrying bad sectors.

Any particular reason that RS232C has to be the linkup?

Just lowest common denominator and based on what I have sitting around here (e.g. I don't have any MCA Ethernet boards, or ISA ones that will work on an 8 bit XT-type bus, only 16 bit).

There are plenty
of external drives that can use the parallel port with regular software.
For example, hook up a ZIP drive.

Hmm, I *might* know where there's one of those available - I'm not sure about cartridges, though (or if it's actually in working condition). The backup operation would certainly be quicker, and I am a bit concerned whether some of the old ST506/412 drives that I have will remain running for the length of time needed to do a serial transfer.

Alternatively, you could boot DOS from floppy with INTERLINK/INTERSVR
installed and use another DOS/WIN machine to do your backup.

My assumption there was that Interlink needs a newer version of DOS, and that some of these systems that I have may be incompatible, but maybe it's worth me putting that to the test.

I'm certain that options abound.

Yes, I'm sure - just figured I'd ask here as it seems like the sort of nut that will already have been cracked :-)

Vintage PCs are just a pain - new enough to make significant use of hard disk technology, but old enough that getting the data off them isn't quite as trivial as it likely would be on a much newer machine. I do find them *just* interesting enough to make it worthwhile trying to create a snapshot of how they were used, though (compared to the Win95-and-newer age where it's all so incredibly dull)

cheers

Jules