On 11/14/2015 07:52 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On 11/13/2015 11:56 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
connected them with a Laplink parallel cable (I've still got a box of
them).

Roughly what length are the cables? And do you know if they do anything
special internally regarding shielding of the data lines?

For my own product, way back in the dark old days, I designed one from scratch and contracted for a couple hundred from a cable house. When Laplink came out, I was surprised to find that it used exactly my setup. How's that for coincidence?

So I changed my further orders to use the commodity LL cables--at about half the price. Not as rugged as my design, but they worked fine. Interlink uses the same cable.

All were 2m in length. I think 12 conductor commodity foil-shielded cable will do the trick. Basically, you've got 4 data lines in each direction, plus strobe and ground. It is possible (I don't know if Interlink supports it) with PS/2 style bidirectional printer ports, to do a full 8 bit transfer in both directions, but it can get touchy on setup. The 4-bit cables nearly always work.

So a length of cable, 2 DB25M connectors and Bob's your uncle.

MIcrosoft calls/called it "Direct Cable Connection" and is supported through Windows XP (Vista dropped it).

--Chuck