On 5/11/2016 5:54 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
On 2016-05-11 7:43 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
If we'd had 4 decades of effort aimed at fast Lisp Machines, I think
we'd have them.

Compiled Lisp, even on generic hardware, is fast. Fast enough, in fact,
that it obviated Symbolics. (More in Richard P. Gabriel's history of
Lucid.) See also: The newly open sourced Chez Scheme.

But List still sequential processing as far as I can see? How do you speed that up?

The myths around garbage collection are also thick, but gc doesn't
impede efficiency except under conditions of insufficient headroom (long
documented by research old and new).

Well GC is every Tuesday here. :)

--Toby
Ben.