On 14/06/2016 4:40 AM, Jerry Weiss wrote:
On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwoo...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

On 13/06/2016 17:20, Rod Smallwood wrote:

I just had a thought is the magnet in a microwave cooker magnetron permanent or
electro?

A rare earth magnet savaged from a disk drive or a banned child toy (aka
BuckyBalls) might be more effective.

Jerry

When I worked on this gear, we kept a magnet assy from a CDC 9762 80mb drive under the bench in a safe place, and used it to bulk-erase any tapes as needed. The magnets from a RA81 failed cartridge are very small and powerful, will do nicely. I keep a few in my workshop for gen duty screw pickup, etc.

Lionel.