On 14/06/2016 12:19, Lionel Johnson wrote:
On 14/06/2016 4:40 AM, Jerry Weiss wrote:
On Jun 13, 2016, at 12:55 PM, Rod Smallwood <rodsmallwoo...@btinternet.com> wrote:

On 13/06/2016 17:20, Rod Smallwood wrote:

I just had a thought is the magnet in a microwave cooker magnetron permanent or electro?

A rare earth magnet savaged from a disk drive or a banned child toy (aka BuckyBalls) might be more effective.

Jerry

When I worked on this gear, we kept a magnet assy from a CDC 9762 80mb drive under the bench in a safe place, and used it to bulk-erase any tapes as needed. The magnets from a RA81 failed cartridge are very small and powerful, will do nicely. I keep a few in my workshop for gen duty screw pickup, etc.

Lionel.

I though I'd pursue  the mag mount route
flipping the mount over shows a center puck like magnet made from a metal and about an inch and quarter across. Then there's a gap of a quarter of an inch and then an annular ferrite ring about six inches across. The central magnet seems the stronger of the two and a compact tape cassette will stick to it. So I'll rotate the cartridge through the magnetic field and see if that erases it.

Anybody know what this is about?
MSCPCK-I-MU0-FW Rev level is 003/HW Rev level is 000