On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, Robert wrote:
It's always the same characters that are mangled and it's independent
of their position on the screen, so I suspect possible corruption in
the character set, wherever in ROS or the display card it is held.

The characters are stored on the display interface card. I had a similar fault in one of my 5110s, in my case it was a faulty TTL chip (IIRC a 74159 demux).

to the printer, but I think the print head is gummed up.

You have to a) clean the print head and b) replace the rubber rollers that transport the ink ribbon. The rollers will be goo and make a "big mess"(tm).

2. Can anybody direct me to a pdf copy of the user manual and/or the
service manual for the 5103?

Your search engine's broken, right? ;-)
They're either on my site or at bitsavers.

Here's a link to my thread on the VCF, with pictures:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58583-IBM-5110-with-5114-drive-amp-5103-printer&p=467901#post467901

I can't see any pictures, and _no_, I won't register just to see the pictures.

Christian