On Tue, 11 Jul 2017, Robert wrote:
So, faulty support logic, rather than a faulty ROS. That's encouraging.

I hope this is also true in your case. According to your picture, the last column of each character is missing. It could be an issue around the shift register (e.g. the Display Data register, a latch, cold solder joint, ...). I just see that I have the following info on my site (didn't remember that detail ;-) ): "The 8 bit wide characters are stored as a pattern of seven different bits followed by a 0-bit in a 2048x16 display ROS (character generator). These 8 bits are loaded along with two 0 padding bits into a 10 bit shift register. The address of the 8 bit pattern is based on the Display Data register that contains the current character and the character row counter that counts the current display row within a character."

Christian