On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 07:20 -0700, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> Can you actually buy SATA PHYs in small quantities now
> or even SATA to PATA bridges?

I can't think of anybody who makes discrete SATA PHYs, and there isn't
a standardized interface for the other side of the PHY so I suspect
there would probably be no market for a chip like that.

Commodity FPGAs with 3Gbps SERDES channels are fairly readily available
 and I think you could probably build a SATA interface in one of those
without too much trouble.  It probably would not be very cheap though,
and there would be hassle involved in implementing the SATA stack.
Alternatively, there are ASSPs like TI's TUSB9260, which is actually
intended for use as a USB-to-SATA bridge but could probably be bent
into implementing PATA using its digital GPIOs.  It costs $6.44 from
Mouser at quantity 1.

Phil