Hi all,

I picked up a DECstation 5000/200 over a year ago, which I haven't
really played with until this weekend. I burnt an Ultrix 4.5 iso, as I
have a RRD43 cdrom drive. The installation appeared to go fine, and I
was very pleased to see that Emacs is available in the unsupported
packages.

When I try to boot, it prints out to the console

]] <snip>
]] preserving editor files
]] clearing /tmp
]] standard daemons: update cron accounting network snmpd printer.
]] start errlog daemon - elcsd
]] Thu Aug 14 18:30:23 GMT 1997

and then it seems to just stop. I can hear some repetitive disk
activity, but nothing is happening on the console. I have a monitor
hooked up to the PMAG-F card, but it just displays a black screen.

If I boot into single user mode "boot 5/rz1/vmunix single", things seem
to work fine, although I can't start X. From here, I took a look in
/etc/rc and /etc/rc.local, and it seems to get to the end of them both
fine. There is an "exit 0" on the line after the date command is
executed. Is there a script called after this which I have missed?

I'm a bit new to Ultrix. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it X related?
Perhaps I should try a fresh install without DECwindows, if that is an
option.

Thanks,

Aaron.