Seth, my wife is one of those engineers that you speak of. She has 30+ years at
a 'well known global engineering company'. She has succeeded greatly and she
has done so specifically by insisting that she be treated the same, not
differently.

She discusses the stance that you wrote below very often, and I can tell you
that any time someone says 'we have to have men talk differently'... she is
greatly offended by the implication.

And no - we don't have to give engineers the right to be bad engineers. When
you accept bad engineers as ok, generally - people die.

But the first part of your post is very on-topic and interesting, thank you for
that.

Best,