I wrote...
> I did not say sexism was ok.

To which toby replied...
>That is, indeed, the message you are sending

No. It is not. It is what you are saying that I intend. And not that I have to
explain myself.... but historically when anyone posts something I'd like to
curb, I generally do it off-list. There are exceptions - which is my
discretion. I did not yet get a chance to respond to it as I normally do that
during the evenings.  But I have always said that the biggest way to get in
trouble here is personal attacks. And if you don't think that evan's post was a
personal attack, then I just don't know what I can tell you. I saw that and
jumped on it first.

> On a technical list with adults, I believe that when someone posts something
> on-topic which has portions you do not personally like that perhaps the adult
> thing is to take the points that are in-common and expand on them, leaving
> the points behind that you find offensive or inappropriate. The rest will be
> dealt with off-list, as I have done in the past.

*Did* you, in this instance?

Because when somebody posts such vile, wrong, offensive and harmful
essentialist hogwash, as Rod did, on a public list, I would be expecting swift
action from the moderator, in private and/or in public. If you had given prompt
notice of doing so, then readers wouldn't have had to censure it themselves.

So... what you're saying is... I have to report to you and the list, give you
prompt notice of what I do/decide and what private emails I send OR ELSE you
get to decide? That is not how it works.