On 10/05/17 20:18, Tom Gardner via cctalk wrote:

I suspect this might start another discussion, but as I understand it Apple had
little to do with the evolution of SASI into SCSI.
Shugart Associates published SASI in 1981 and took it to ANSI in 1982 where
they renamed it SCSI to avoid using a vendors name.

To quote from the draft SCSI 1 standard

" A commercial small system
parallel bus, the Shugart Associates System Interface (SASI), generally met
the small system requirements for a device-independent peripheral or system
bus and had enjoyed significant market success. It was offered to X3T9.2 as
the basis for a standard. X3T9.2 chose the name Small Computer System
Interface (SCSI) for that standard and began work at its April 1982 meeting.

The present SCSI dpANS is a formalization and extension of the SASI. Many
existing SASI devices are SCSI compatible.

Since April 1982, X3T9.2 has held plenary sessions, at two month intervals,
plus numerous informal working meetings. The original SASI has been extended
in a number of ways"

I was at Shugart at that time and to the best of my recollection Apple was not
a driver of the ANSI activity.
The Macintosh shipped in January 1984 well after the ANSI SCSI work started and
its major distinguishing feature was the non-standard connector

Tom

This reminds me of something I wanted to ask for some time:

I've got a Tektronix 8560 where the internal hard disk is not that much reliable anymore. No read/write errors, but after running for some time (btw. 24h and 48h) it seems to reset. Spin-down, spin-up, etc. until the host receives an
error.

The connector for an external hard disk looks like an external SCSI connector. I haven't found the pinout or other description in the docs. My hope was that it might be really SASI or SCSI, but given the release date of the machine (I don't know exactly
but I think around 1978 or 1979), it might not be.

Does anyone know more details about this connector/connection?

regards,
chris