On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 08:52:26AM -0500, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:
> Lots of early SCSI devices have no support for the Inquiry command, which
> trips up modern software which expects it - I don't know if it was simply
> ignored, or if there was a point in time where it wasn't present in the
> spec, and was only added later.

When I worked on SCSI device drivers in the late 1980s, we found that
support for the full spec was rare.  "Get it to work well enough and
ship it" seemed to be the explanation.  (cf: any BIOS implementation)

We wound up using a subset of the spec to get things to interoperate
correctly with our cards.

mcl