From: cctalk <cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org> on behalf of Jon Elson via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 7, 2017 7:51:14 PM
To: Brent Hilpert; gene...@ezwind.net; Discussion@
Subject: Re: OT: the death of shortwave / Re: Hallicrafters S-85

On 10/07/2017 06:46 PM, Brent Hilpert via cctalk wrote:
> SW is dead. The internet killed it. You can fix your S-40B
> but there won't be much to make it fly with. There are a
> couple international broadcasters left, but nothing like
> it used to be. I was an SWL'er as a kid in the 70s,
> learned a lot about the world. Voice of America, Armed
> Forces Network, Radio Japan, Radio Hilversum Holland,
> Deutsche Welle, HCJB Voice of the Andes, Radio Prague,
> Radio Moscow, Radio Peking, BBC, etc., etc., etc.
> Listening to the Cold War play out on the international
> airwaves. Pretty much all gone. Left between the static
> are a few religious broadcasters.
I used to do a lot of RTTY receiving.  I copied RCC in
Washington DC.  That was the Soviet embassy!  They'd send
some clear test stuff for a while, then go off the air for 5
minutes and start sending 5 digit code groups.

I also figured out how to decode a binary synchronous
transmission that turned out to be a police net among the
French-speaking Caribbean islands.  It was standard ITA2
(5-level teletype code, often called Baudot) with the start
and stop bits removed, and blocked into groups.

Only hams seem to use RTTY any more.  There are a plethora
of digital modes used by hams, though.

Jon