Jack said
> Good points all and I appreciate the input.
>
> The $700 freight is what the eBay seller near DC quoted by e-mail.

Having it palletised definately sounds the safest option, but for "cheap and
cheerful"
I have found removalists wanting a backload to be pretty good. However that's
here in
Oz where we don't have the same extensive choice of logistics.

I had an IBM 3420 tape unit shipped interstate 2000km (about 1250 miles) for
$200 AUD
($150 USD). Since they had absolutely no idea what a 3420 was, or its weight, I
told
them it was exactly the size of a fridge but about twice as heavy. It turned
out to be
heavier than that but they did earn themselves a beer after unloading it at my
mother's
house, in the dark, in the hot summer :)

With backloaders I've also had to wait for a while until a loaded truck is
going in the
right direction, I had two empty H960's moved from 2000km interstate for $200
but they
took about a month to arrive.

Steve.