On 8/17/21 11:40 AM, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021, 6:46 AM Dennis Grevenstein via cctech <
cct...@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

With 3.1 available why would you want to run 2.0?  Someone mentioned
a 4.0.  I don't remember there ever being anything after 3.1 (promised,
but never saw it delivered)  Would be fun to look at.

Yea. I've not seen anything survive on any of the abandonware sites.

But another way to ask: what is fixed between 2.0 and 3.1 that prompts Bill
to ask me why I'd want 2.0 like it was nuts...

As near as I can tell, it wasn't so  much bug fixes (after all,
Ultrix-11 is just V7M rebadged) as it was additional hardware support.

But I suspect
anything beginning with 4 is actually Ultrix-32 which I think went as
far as 4.5.

That seems likely, because AFAIR Ultrix-11 never got past 3.X.
In any way I would like to point out that Ultrix-11 and Ultrix-32 are
completely different: Ultrix-11 based on V7 (+addons) and Ultrix-32
based on 4.2BSD (+addons).

Having looked at the sources to both and running diffs with tuhs, I can
confirm this is the case. And ultrix-32 had different version numbers than
ultrix-11. But the vax and mips versions shared the same sources as far as
I can tell (though I don't know if it is common ancestor or operationally
the same repo).

I have looked on the web and many sites (not DEC) are calling the 4.x
versions running on VAX and MIPS ULTRIX-11 instead of ULTRIX-32 which
is what it actually was.

Also, the addons to ultrix-11 include BSD networking. It has the feel of
2.9BSD with a more polished installer and sysgen (alien name in unix world,
but common for DEC OSes).

And it works quite well within the confines of the limited PDP-11
hardware.  :-)

bill