> On Aug 25, 2021, at 12:04 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
> In the video on youtube and in my experience the screen formating codes seem
> to be incorrect.  You can see this in the video when a man page is brought
> up.  The bolding does not occur.  I get the same result after installing.
> The same with vi, it doesn't work in the video and doesn't work after
> installation.  I've tried Teraterm, putty, xterm all with the same result.
> Haven't tried an actual terminal yet.  What was your experience?

I have near zero PDP-11 Unix experience, but I remember one flavor (BSD 2.11 ?)
which set the top bit in its alleged ASCII output, which of course would break
any terminal expecting actual 8 bit coding.  In particular, code points in the
range 128-159 have a very different meaning from those in the range 0-31, and a
terminal correctly implementing ANSI controls (such as a VT220) would show this
clearly.

You can tell SIMH to force the top bit to zero in terminal output; that will
restore normal behavior with current terminals or terminal emulators.

No idea if that's the reason for the problem you were seeing, but it's a
possibility that's easy to test.