> On Jul 31, 2022, at 1:50 AM, Ali via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I feel like a Raspberry Pi or similar would fit the bill for this
>> nicely.
>>

> Yes, but it wouldn't be ready to go ;). I would need to find a raspberry pi
> with a built in serial port and a flavor Linux already loaded on it plus
> configuration. There are plenty of SERVER devices out there (i.e. take data
> from the serial console of a device and present it over the LAN via TCP/IP
> and accessible by Telnet, SSH, even HTTP) so I am hoping someone has a client
> device as well.

One easy way would be to plug in a USB to RS232 adapter into any old Linux
device, like a Pi.  Another is to use an RS232 converter card for the built-in
UARTs.  I don't know about the Pi, but I've used such a device for the
BeagleBone Black.

A Telnet client is a standard tool; if it doesn't come pre-installed it's just
a matter of installing the relevant package.