On 7/31/22 11:38 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
One easy way would be to plug in a USB to RS232 adapter into any old Linux device, like a Pi. Another is to use an RS232 converter card for the built-in UARTs. I don't know about the Pi, but I've used such a device for the BeagleBone Black.

I was thinking of the BeagleBone Black as another option. I personally have no experience with them.

A Telnet client is a standard tool; if it doesn't come pre-installed it's just a matter of installing the relevant package.

Yep.

Configure things with DE-9 / DB-25 to 8P8C adapters, a la. Yost, and you've got a capable device.

It could even be possible to configure the gateway device to inherently work both directions. Allow outbound connections /and/ inbound connections. The devil is in the details of configuring the software to do (at least) what you want it to do.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die