> On Aug 2, 2022, at 2:38 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 8/2/22 11:52 AM, Robert Armstrong via cctalk wrote:
>> Umm...  The problem is that there are a lot more DECnet systems than just
>> VMS.
>
> Please elaborate.
>
> I naively assumed that anything that was running DECnet was doing so to be
> able to communicate with a DEC system / OS.
>
> It sounds like you are aware of places where DECnet is being used that
> doesn't involve DEC system(s) / OS(s).

I think the context was TCP as an alternative transport, given the fading
DECnet support in Linux.  And yes, that's an option for Unix and VMS, but not
for a number of other DEC operating systems that have no TCP option.

Hm, I'm reminded that someone did a TCP add-on to RSTS, that would be
interesting to examine.  A tricky piece of work, given that RSTS was not at all
designed to be customer-extensible (unlike RSX and RT-11).  Not even customer
device drivers, let alone anything much harder, like a whole network stack.