>Grant Taylor <ct...@gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net>
>Okay.  I hadn't considered other DEC OSs that don't support TCP/IP.

  AFAIK, VMS was the only DEC operating system (well, excepting the Un*x
derivatives) that supported TCP/IP.  There were several third party TCP/IP
implementations for VMS (e.g. Wollongong, CMU, Process Software, ...) and
eventually DEC came out with their own official implementation.

  Johnny Bilquist has a TCP suite for RSX, but that's a recent development and
was never a DEC product.

>I'm trying to understand how many installations are actually using
>DECnet in Linux / how big the potential problem is / will be.

  You mean now, today, for actual real work?  I have no idea, but I doubt it's
very many if any at all.  There are some of us hobbyists out there though, that
still use DECnet.  We even have a worldwide DECnet network tunneled over the
Internet, and it's useful for some of us to have DECnet on Linux.  I have such
a machine here, with Ubuntu 16.04.7LTS and ESM, kernel 4.4.0-148.  I would have
upgraded it, but getting some of the user mode DECnet programs to run on later
releases is problematic.  Not impossible, but tricky.

  Are you part of the kernel team?  I'm not really suggesting that DECnet
support be kept, although there are a few of us who would appreciate it.

Bob