On 2022-09-23 11:35 a.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 9/23/22 09:53, Paul Koning wrote:

Those are good examples, but is it "many" or just those two and maybe one or two more?
For example, Burroughs and IBM mainframes were both very much "lights and switches"
control panel type machines.  For that matter, so were the other CDC products; the 6000 series was
a bit of an outlier I think.

How many supercomputers were there in the 1960s?   I suppose you could
count the 360/195 as a ridiculous example of the opposite approach, but
eventually, even IBM saw the light.

--Chuck

Just how do the supercomputer do i/o for all that floating numbers.
Weather maps I can see for output, but what about all that Top Secret
number crunching.
Ben.