On 9/23/22 10:52, ben via cctalk wrote:

> Just how do the supercomputer do i/o for all that floating numbers.
> Weather maps I can see for output, but what about all that Top Secret
> number crunching.

Well, consider the 1969 STAR-100; although not well documented, had a
512-bit wide, error-checked I/O channel that ran at memory speed.  Neil
had various schemes for it, including a 100K RPM head-per-track drum
that ran in vacuo.  I recall him mentioning that the prototype lasted
around a minute before the observation window was covered with the
remnants of the drum surface.

Or consider the STAR SCROLL--a very wide tape that ran over a
head-per-track drum.  I don't recall seeing that prototype; maybe it
existed only in the mind.   But we had to mention both in our responses
to RFQs.

This may be before Chris Elmquist's time, but he might also remember.
Too bad that Neil's no longer with us; I suspect that he had lots of
amazing stories.

--Chuck