> On Sep 23, 2022, at 1:52 PM, ben via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Just how do the supercomputer do i/o for all that floating numbers.
> Weather maps I can see for output, but what about all that Top Secret
> number crunching.
> Ben.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Floating point numbers are bits in
memory, just like any other data.  Disk and tape and similar data storage
device I/O just moves memory words to/from the device; it doesn't matter what
the bit patterns mean.

Data interpretation does matter for output to devices like line printers, of
course; printing a decimal nummber is different for float vs. integer.