On 10/7/22 18:14, ben via cctalk wrote:
On 2022-10-07 1:09 p.m., paul.kimpel--- via cctalk wrote:
We'd all like to see the ALGO compiler, but be forewarned -- it's something like 14 passes on paper tape, with intermediate results punched on paper tape. I understand it's a bit more convenient to use if you have magnetic tape drives, but it's still going to be slow -- there's only so much you can do with 2K words of memory.

Trying to hide the fact  the drum makes it slow.
Did any one ever replace the drum with core memory, on the early serial computers?
Ben.

Tghe G-15 was a serial computer with an 90 KHz bit clock.  The entire organization of teh computer revolved around the drum (pun intended).  There was an optimizer that organized instructions around the drum so that the next instruction came up on the read head just as the last instruction finished.  Without tearing the entire machine apart and redesigning the logic, core would not make it faster.

The PDP-8S did have core memory, and for a bit serial computer, it was fairly fast.

Jon