> On Oct 18, 2022, at 11:51 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I like how having the old hardware gives physical "witness" and "evidence"
>> that all the old stories are true - people did invent and create these
>> things, they didn't just appear from aliens.
>
> Indeed. I am teaching a security class on TCP/IP and I recently got my AT&T
> 7300 PC up and running with its Ethernet card and Wollogong TCP stack.

Another story of using old technology: a couple of years ago I wrote an article
about the invention of FM radio, in Holland in 1919 (no, not by Armstrong in
the USA in the late 1920s).  I wanted to simulate the circuit used, and found
the easy way to do that was with complex number arithmetic.

So I wrote a simulation of the circuit in question in ALGOL 60, running in a
SIMH emulator.  In other words, simulating a 100 year old invention using 50
year old computer technology.  Why do it that way?  Why not?

Fun.