> On Oct 19, 2022, at 2:09 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 19, 2022, at 08:14, Fritz Mueller via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 19, 2022, at 6:16 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
>>> wrote:
>>> ...a couple of years ago I wrote an article about the invention of FM
>>> radio, in Holland in 1919 (no, not by Armstrong in the USA in the late
>>> 1920s).
>>
>> That sounds interesting, Paul  — I’m only familiar with the usual
>> USA-centric Armstrong lore.  Is your article available to read online
>> anywhere?
>>
>>   —FritzM.
>
> I’d be interested in the article as well.
>
> There are reasons for the story of FM radio to be US- and Armstrong-centric,
> even if someone or some institution in Europe did it first.

Yes, but suppression of the story, which is what I experienced when I tried to
update Wikipedia, is not the right answer.

The correct answer is to recognize that (a) Armstrong was NOT first with FM
transmission, (b) Armstrong was first with FM-specific receivers
(discriminator), and (c) the technology direction started by Armstrong is the
one that got traction and evolved into what we have now.

As I mentioned in the opening paragraph of the article, Idzerda's FM
transmitter is like Leif Eriksson's discovery of America -- he did it first,
but it didn't lead to anything.  Still, he made a living off a commercial
broadcast venture using his technology for 5 years or so, until the creation of
the BBC made his business uncompetitive.