On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:36:58AM -0400, William Donzelli via cctalk wrote:
> Don't be pedantic. You know what I mean.
>
> Anyway, in the US, there are *significant* barriers to cross for
> people taking your land.

Owe the local government a few bucks in unpaid tax? They steal your
house (well, technically not - they put a lien on it and then foreclose).

Lowest amount I've read about was around $9 in unpaid taxes resulted
in a 25k $ house being grabbed. Was apparently later ruled as "nope,
can't do that" for this case, but still, not a fun time.

Florida seems to be particularly creative, too: pay your contractor,
contractor doesn't pay their supplier, supplier puts lien on _your_
house for the money owed. Want to keep your house? Better pay again
and then try to extract that money from the contractor later by
way of the courts.

And then there is the legal fun bag of the forfeiture related laws.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison