On 2022-12-21 6:32 p.m., Tomasz Rola via cctalk wrote:
On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 04:28:35AM +0000, Chris via cctalk wrote:
[...]
Transcoding as in vcr to mpegs? I wasn't suggesting XP was utterly
entirely useless. Video editing in a modern sense requires loads of
processing h.p. to be efficient. And no transcodimg is
necessary. Certainly not an expert. But I should think older
hardware would be very very slow.

From my rather limited experience, it grossly depends on cache size vs
size of movie frame, at least for some kinds of processing. I can,
(well, could) have seen it very well - processing (say, denoising) a
1:1.85 ratio material with 560x304 resolution was going with, say,
acceptable speed. Of course I would love it ten times, hundred,
thousand times faster, because, why not. But, acceptable. Increase
frame size twofold (because experimenting - is it worth to process
like this, will results be any better?), still fits in cache, I still
can live with it even if it is circa four times slower. Increase
fourfold, eightfold, and it seems to choke my 8-10yo cpu.

So, yeah, modern formats, 4K and whatnot, they would not fit in cache.

On the positive side, even old cpu for which new Windows is "too good
to install" can still do a lot of sound processing - which is, again,
as far as I understand it, related to cpu cache vs problem size. And why
would anybody waste cpu cycles on showing all the Windows menus and
stuff :-).

Unless you guys talk about video crunching on PDP-8? (runs and ducks)

Modern computers still need to faster, for real I/O. This is PDP 1 here.
https://spacewar.oversigma.com/
Ben.