This may be a larger conversation than I intend but how would you all
generally start if you ha backup tapes that you wanted to try and
read/restore?

Supposedly they're Amiga qic tapes. I'm a little worried about the
structural integrity of the tapes. Not knowing what software was used,
would this be a literal job for something like tar via a Linux system? Then
see if I can interpret the dump and sort out files afterwards?

I might see if a local group wants to help play with this effort since I
think I only have 1 drive in unknown condition.