From: ben [mailto:bfranc...@jetnet.ab.ca]
Sent: 01 January 2023 14:27
To: Martin Bishop <mjd.bis...@emeritus-solutions.com>; General Discussion:
On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: [cctalk] Re: How to print old files.

On 2023-01-01 6:53 a.m., Martin Bishop wrote:
> Folks - wishing all a Good New Year
>
> Ben
> The first ingredient must be a printer with a a suitable font table, in these
> times of soft fonts that should be a given or tractable.
> The second element is to convert to and use an MCS / multibyte character
> representation - which can differentiate _ ^ and the desired arrow marks.
> To do this you could:
> - load the file into an editor, save it in MCS format, perform the
> necessary substitutions (two global replaces)
> - write a program / script to achieve the same effect, read char and
> convert/translate to MCS octets.
> Note.  It is just possible you will find a font with the arrows in the upper
> 128 glyphs of 8 bit "ascii", in which case you can skip the MCS conversion.
> HtH
>
> Martin
A filter of some kind is needed.
With the rise of emulators for old machines,I can see text being written with
terminal emulation of the orginal i/o devices, but that leaves printing or
tranfering text files a problem.
JOE could have a REAL - big iron 67, SAM runs windows 2000, TOM has a micro
VAX. Every thing gets dumped to the cloud.
One must keep data as files, none of this crappy mess that this modern 'buy a
app' to print,or read.
How does one share binary and paper tape/cards as files?
Ben.
PS: Back to inventing big iron 67.
tag line: Cloud computing delayed to to bad weather, server is under 3 feet of
snow.