The "Tandy Portable Disk Drive" was a strange beast. At one time, some folk wrote software to run on PC to operate it.
Otherwise, it's another flux transition project.

OTOH, RS also had an external 5.25" box ("Disk/Video Interface"), which has a very simple MFM format, with the Microsoft Stand-Alone BASIC file system (much like certain models of NEC machines) with some slight resemblance to the file system on the Coco.