> On Jan 31, 2023, at 1:26 PM, David Glover-Aoki via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 29, 2023, at 9:37 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Some of the floppies I’m recovering data look to be either a multi-part ZIP
>> file, or something.  Was this a separate product from PKZIP?  I’m not sure
>> if I have a copy of PKZIP in the stuff I’ve recovered thus far.  I’ve not
>> pulled them into DOSBOX to try and restore them, so far I’ve just tried to
>> use Stuffit-Expander.   Part of the problem is every file has the same name,
>> just on different floppies.
>
> Info-ZIP still supports "split" archives, and spanned archives can be
> converted to split archives by renaming them to the appropriate extension.
> From the man page:
>
> zip version 3.0 and later can create split archives.  A split archive is a
> standard zip archive split over multiple files.  (Note that split archives
> are not just archives split in to pieces, as the offsets of entries are now
> based on the start of each split.  Concatenating the pieces together will
> invalidate these offsets, but unzip can usually deal with it.  zip will
> usually refuse to process such a spliced archive unless the -FF fix option is
> used to fix the offsets.)
>
> One use of split archives is storing a large archive on multiple removable
> media.  For a split archive with 20 split files the files are typically named
> (replace ARCHIVE with the name of your archive) ARCHIVE.z01, ARCHIVE.z02,
> ..., ARCHIVE.z19, ARCHIVE.zip. Note that the last file is the .zip file.  In
> contrast, spanned archives are the original multi-disk archive generally
> requiring floppy disks and using volume labels to store disk numbers.  zip
> supports split archives but not spanned archives, though a procedure exists
> for converting split archives of the right size to spanned archives.  The
> reverse is also true, where each file of a spanned archive can be copied in
> order to files with the above names to create a split archive.
>
> A split archive with missing split files can be fixed using -F if you have
> the last split of the archive (the .zip file).  If this file is missing, you
> must use -FF to fix the archive, which will prompt you for the splits you
> have.
>
> David.

So far I’ve tackled one split zip.  I wasn’t having any luck with the version
of PKZIP that I assume created this.  I copied the files into a directory, and
did COPY FILE1.ZIP+FILE2.ZIP+FILE3.ZIP+FILE4.ZIP+FILE5.ZIP COMBINED.ZIP

That still wasn’t working, as the file was corrupt, but I managed to use
PKZIPFIX to fix it, and then I could unzip it.  The info above will definitely
help, especially with regards to the ZIPs missing the first part.

Slowly I’m recovering my old DOS system.

Zane