On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 4:40 PM Chris Zach via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Question: I just used a strong magnet to wipe an old Maxtor MFM drive
> (magnet on outside of case). Now the drive will not even seek properly
> on start up, just endlessly moves the heads..
>
> Is the drive now toast? Do MFM drives have embedded servo information on
> the platter formatted by the factory?

I assume by 'MFM' you mean a drive with an interface similar to the ST412.

Embedded servo is rare (unheard-of) on ST412 interfaced drives simply
because the manufacturer has no idea how it will be low-level
formatted and thus where the sector headers will be. So no safe place
for the servo bursts on the data surfaces

But a dedicated servo surface is very common on larger such drives.
That's why you often see an odd number of data heads. There is a head
on each side of each disk, but one is used for the servo.

Sounds like you've wiped that. No sensible way to recover I'm afraid

-tony