On 2023-02-03 11:57, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:

This is a Maxtor 2190. The RD54 base disk. I've been having major problems trying to format them on my RQDX3, I'll post that adventure in a bit. In a nutshell the drives only partially format then error out. On Dave G's MFM emulator all the tracks appear to be there.

OK, is it a MAXTOR 2190, or a RD54?
If it is really an RD54, it has the weird DEC sectors with the bad block information. If it doesn't have the bad blocks information written in the "DEC way" it won't be recognized as a RD54