Chris, what kind of magnet did you use?
If it was an electromagnet I could imagine that you caused physical damage
by something heating up sufficiently. If it was a permanent magnet then it
might indeed be servo data which has been erased. Either way I expect you
need a very strong magnetic field to erase a hard drive from the outside.
Tom